Monday, July 4, 2011

hello again

So I recently rediscovered what shelf I had thrown my journal from Europe on. I also have found myself with an abundance of free time and have been spending most of it reading books like a mad woman. I have decided to take some of my free time to continue typing up my journal from where I left off.

I'll post one journal entry at a time so as not to have the humongous entries I had before when I was posting as much as possible when I could get an internet connection.

thank you to anyone who has been waiting patiently for me to continue...I know it's been over a year now...


7:55 am (Verona)

ok It's been awhile so I'll recap after breakfast story. So I'm sitting in gorgeous Verona- love this city btw- in the dinning hall drinking coffee out of a bowl-tee hee- but I am sitting in front of a fire place so – win XD. Need to write my last anytime visit for class at 9 but it's a page, wont take long and this is nice. Big stone house- practically no electricity- crackling fires- beautiful courtyard, big open green spaces- it's so nice here mmmm roll with plum jam dipped in coffee- yum X) homework time brb

8:15 am -homework done -lol- I always like that you can tell when I was writing at breakfast-there's always jam all over those pages (not the jam spots below)

Ok so (*jam*) Backtracking 20th- went to the film festival a final time and saw “Golden Slumber” with (*jam*) <--jam mmm... Nate-movie= amazing, so good and was totally picked out et random by yours truly because “Summer Wars” was sold out but amazingness ensued- Nate did laundry and I went exploring out by Potstamer Platz looking for the vintage jewelry store I had a tiny map of and stumbled across a bunch of cool stuffs-cool art work and I got some postcards and a t-shirt -very awesome and this cool bead shop call “The Tudor” very cool and I stumbled across a marionette theatre- shame it was closed though- le sigh.

(my awesome t-shirt)

(The Marionette Theatre)

(the Jewelry store)

Then booked it back for dinner- afterwords was abandoned by other peeps going to a Blue Man Group concert and I tried to find the Dali Museum alone and in the dark- was super creepy seeing as there were like no street lights and I was super lost- so came back, packed up and went to sleep at like 10, where as everyone who went to the concert went to bed after 12 and seeing as it was necessary to leave the hostel at 5:30 am XP.

Side Note: in INTS class discussing Sachsen hausen -it's still unnerving → Greg got quite a befitting picture of me there though- our tour guide was discussing the meals and the whole time I was just starving for almost the whole walk so I was picking off pieces of my roll so it's a pic of me holding a scrap of bread while squinting into the sun with a scarf tied across my head as a head band- as Greg described I looked like a gypsy- the camp was absolutely terrifying though and I think I will get that hunting feeling every time we talk about it. There was just a feeling emanating from the whole camp that is extremely hard for me to explain- Just this creepy feeling of horror that sinks into your bones.

(Was sad to discover that Greg can no longer find this picture)

12:05 pm mmm nicked bread and jam from breakfast delicious- I would be happy if I could have jam and pastry bread for lunch the rest of this trip- yum yum

5:40 pm ok so back to story...wait where was I hmmm... right- leaving at 5:30am- So Nate and I-being the cool people that we are decided that – yeah we could easily walk to the train station- we did before and we don't really want to pay for transportation. So we wake up earlier and are the first ones out of the hostel after a few blocks the clasp on Nate's bag snaps off- so I lend him my carabiner so he doesn't kill his arms carrying everything by hand instead of slung over a shoulder- we get about half way to the train station and the other clasp breaks- I pull out a hunk of cord for my “clothes line” and we tie up his bag- luckily this lasts the rest of the trek through the snow and ice- ick XP =>

so we make it to the train station figure out where our platform is and that we're in the AB section of the train (there are sections A-F) so we're chillin' around about oh- 20-30 mins before our train's suppose to leave (6:52) just chillin' eating stale bread and knock off brand snickers bars-called peanuts which were 95 eurro cents for 5 awesome deal and delicious- and it get's to be like 6:45 ish or so and we start worrying about the 10 or so other people that had the same train as us- seeing as we had- at this point seen no one else from our group. Then it was 6:50 trains here no one else- we eventually find out they were all on the other end of the platform and had to book it to our end lol – go us => we did get a bunch of “oh you finally made it” comments even though we were the first ones there – tee hee.

Train ride was pleasant we sat across from each other at a table with two German women next to us in the window seat. Most of the ride was spent sleeping and finishing “Angels and Demons” which is now being passed around as reading material so either Rob or Libby has it right now- not quite sure. We transferred at M√ľnchen (Munich) and got some cart side pizza in the lay over time. Train ride was Nate, Greg, Rob and I along with an Italian woman and son in a little walled in seating box- figuring out where to put everyone's luggage was quite the adventure. Felt bad for the Italians having to deal with us for so long. Train went through the lower Alps and it was absolutely gorgeous. I think Rob said he took like 200 pictures in the train crazy awesomes. Nate and I decided we'd let Rob and Greg do all the picture taking and steal from facebook later- lol.

(beautiful pic of the Apls I stole from Rob's facebook...:D)

(trying to sleep on the train)

Got to Verona and again decided to walk to our hotel => thought we were lost for awhile but turns out we were going the right way all along- most of the streets didn't have any names so it was quite confusing => stayed in a Best Western same as Ken and Rachel- it was amazing. Tiny bathroom though which was a bit more of a problem for Nate then me- lol silly tall people. 1st night was spent wandering the streets a little- including backtracking to find my sweatshirt that I had dropped and relaxing in front of the TV watching CNN, Jordan's Crossing in Italian and the Olympics in German.

(our tiny hotel room)

(and the tiny TV we watched)

Next day ate breakfast with Ken and Rachel and wandered the streets with them. Found the hostel, found out they had scheduled us to arrive a day later then we were coming in- lol- sorted all that out. Ate an amazing “business lunch” that consisted- for me at least as there were choices- of macaroni and beef- a side of potatoes and pork with rosemary and lemon, all for 11 eurro- and the table had a karaf of red wine- which wasn't half bad.

(my wine glass and the sparkling water glass)

That night Nate picked up a bottle of cheep red wine, Rachel a bottle of sparkling white (which was delicious) and we had a chil little evening watching bad 70's dubbed TV while sipping out of the glasses from the bathroom- I do believe I had more water then wine overall but I had heard from experienced people that wine will not make you feel so good in the morning- which was true for everyone else lol ;D. we then marched the long and uphill road to the hostel and hung out in the amazingly beautiful courtyard until everyone else showed up.

1 comment: